Finding new ways of supporting participants where they are comfortableThe National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is one of Australia’s broadest and most helpful social programs. It offers support to Australians living with a disability as they work towards finding a more independent way of living. Reaching these successful outcomes is no mean feat. It can take years of tweaking and refining support systems to find what works best for each individual. But that’s the beauty of the scheme – it’s highly personalised and fully geared towards each person’s needs. One of the most life-changing supports offered through the scheme is funding for personal care. Through this support, eligible Australians can be delivered assistance for daily personal activities that can have a profound impact on the way participants go about their lives with accessibility and independence. HealSoul is here to offer NDIS participants personal care services delivered with compassion and empathy. Like the NDIS, our core goal is to help you find a more independent way of living at home. If you’re ready to get started, book a free consultation with our team.
What are personal care supports?Personal care supports relate to daily personal activities, whereby a participant is rendered assistance by a disability support worker. These personal tasks of daily life can include:
- Personal hygiene assistance, like bathing, oral care, dressing, and grooming
- Using the toilet, bladder and bowel management, as assistance with menstruation
- Eating, drinking, and preparing food
- Travel, transport, and attending appointments
- Setting up and using aids, like hearing and communication devices
- Mobility around the home, like moving in and out of bed and upstairs
- Basic first aid and application of splints
What considerations are made before personal care services are recommended?Because the definition of personal care is so expansive, the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is tasked with considering how effectively they improve the lives of people living with a disability. To assess the feasibility of a personal care activity, the NDIA must consider whether:
- The activity maximises the independence and functional skills of the participant
- The activity is appropriate for the individual’s circumstances
- Whether the support could be delivered in an alternative matter to meet the participant’s needs while being less intrusive
How are personal care services delivered?To begin accessing personal care services, an individual living with a disability needs to be a participant in the NDIS. This means meeting the following eligibility requirements:
- Being an Australian citizen
- Being under the age of 65 years old
- Having a permanent or significant disability
- Activities should not replace usual care and supervision
- The greatest respect should be rendered when delivering intimate personal care
- Supports should be limited to a maximum of 6 hours
- Bathing and personal hygiene tasks up to 2 hours per day
- Assistance with eating and medication up to 2 hours per day
- Mobility and exercise up to 1 hour per day
- Toileting up to 1 hour per day
Are there higher levels of personal care supports?If a higher level of personal care support is needed by the individual, then the NDIA can recommend and fund whatever supports are necessary. These higher-level supports may include:
- More time dedicated towards certain activities
- More than a single disability support provider
- Personal care supports outside of the previously mentioned examples
- Does the participant have higher care needs, such as seizure activity or respiratory support?
- What is the weight (and other physical aspects) of the participant?
- What is the medical condition of the participant?
- IS the requirement for support temporary or permanent in nature?
- Are two people required to deliver the support?
- Are their behavioural concerns that must be addressed with more intensive assistance?
- Will additional supports assist the individual in building the capacity to live more independently on the whole?
How can HealSoul help?HealSoul delivers supports to NDIS participants with compassion and empathy. Our disability support providers are highly experienced and fully qualified to deliver personal care supports wherever you need them. Better yet, we work with NDIS participants to ensure they are getting exactly what they need to live a more independent life. Starting with a free consultation, you can work with our team to help them understand your situation. From here, we will recommend supports in your home and out and about that will give you a greater quality of life. To get started, book a free consultation with the HealSoul team today. A more independent way of living is closer than you think.
Book a Free Consultation With HealSoul
Experienced Founder with a demonstrated history of working in the hospital & health care industry. Skilled in Career Development, Payroll Processing, Interventions, Team Building, and Organisational Leadership. Strong business development professional with a Advanced diploma of Community Sector Management focused in Community Management from Skills certified Australia.